Because the majority of insurance plans cover counselling/therapy with a Registered Social Worker (RSW), counselling with John is covered by most benefits. John has worked with clients who were covered by Sun Life, Manulife, Green Shield, and Great-West Life. Students at Wilfrid Laurier University and the University of Waterloo are covered by their student benefits to see John for counselling.

Since every insurance company offers several different policies with different coverage for different services, it’s impossible to speak in generalities about which plans cover what. The easiest way for you to find out if you’re covered to see John is to

  • check under the extended health section of your insurance company’s website for coverage for counselling/therapy with an “MSW” or “RSW”
  • call your insurance company and ask if you are covered for counselling/therapy with an MSW or RSW
  • check under the extended health section of your benefits booklet for coverage to see an MSW or RSW
  • ask an HR representative to check if your benefits cover you to see an MSW or RSW